2006 saw a continuation of some of the themes introduced in 2005, where the IAB members looked at some of the issues in a more in-depth way. Such as taking the theme negativism and turning it into identifying Rotterdam’s USP’s. Two new themes were introduced as well.
Unique Selling Points
- Positioning Rotterdam as the world capital of CO2 free energy/smart port of the future and become the leading intercultural city in Europe, develop an ambitious marketing plan, shake off modesty, vitalise the city and become a leading city.
- Other USP’s of Rotterdam are: the creative industry, the medical sector and the City of Water (central theme for the IAB in 2007).
Development of Science Business Park Schieveen
- In order to achieve this goal the existing preconditions concerning physical limitations (Rotterdam Airport and city boundaries) need to be addressed.
- Focus on attracting the right type of businesses.
- Universities, knowledge and science centres need to work together and accessibility needs to be improved.
- Position Rotterdam as the world capital of CO2 free energy/smart port of the future attain this goal by 2025.
- The target is to reduce the emissions of the city by 50% from 80 million tonnes to 40 million tonnes. This will be done by introducing energy efficiencies, CO2 capature and storage, and producing CO2 free energy.